Poor Heating Efficiency Has Several Causes
Heating your home efficiently is essential for both your comfort and health. Several things can cause your heater to be less efficient than it should be, and addressing these issues can help you stay warm all winter. If you’re having problems with your heater’s efficiency, contact Malibu Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. for heating replacement in San Jose, CA, and surrounding areas.
Common Causes Of Poor Heating Efficiency
- Incorrectly sized heater: An incorrectly sized heater is another common cause of poor heating efficiency. If your heater is too small, it will have to run continuously to heat your home, which wastes energy and drives up your utility bills. If your heater is too large, it will cycle on and off frequently, which also wastes energy.
- Improperly sealed windows and doors: If your windows and doors are not properly sealed, heat can escape from your home, causing your heater to work harder to maintain a comfortable temperature. You can add weatherstripping or caulk to improve the seal around your windows and doors. Consider investing in new windows and doors if your current ones are outdated or drafty.
- Dirty or clogged filter: Your heating unit filter helps to keep dirt and dust from circulating through your home. A dirty filter can restrict airflow and make your heater work harder than it needs to. Regularly inspect your filter and replace it if necessary. A new filter can make a big difference in your heater’s efficiency.
- Leaks in your ductwork: Duct leaks can allow heated air to escape before it ever reaches your living space, and this wasted energy can add up quickly. Have your ductwork inspected for leaks and repaired or replaced as needed to improve your heating unit’s performance.
- Incorrect thermostat setting: If your thermostat is set too low, your furnace will run more often than necessary, wasting energy and driving up your utility bills. Conversely, if your thermostat is set too high, you may not be comfortable in your home. Find the right balance for your heater by experimenting with different thermostat settings until you find the one that’s right for you.
- Drafting problems: Drafting problems are another common issue that can lead to poor heating efficiency. When the air in your home is not properly circulated, it can’t heat up as well. Ensure your vents are open and your heater is properly sized for your home. If you’re still experiencing issues, you may need to have your ductwork repaired.
Addressing these issues can improve your heating unit efficiency and keep your home comfortable all winter. Contact Malibu Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. today if you require heater repair or replacement services. We provide a variety of heater services to meet your needs, and our team of experts is always here to help. Call us today to learn more about our services or to schedule a heater replacement in San Jose, CA.