Air conditioners are essential to any home by providing relief from hot and humid temperatures. However, they can use a lot of energy, which increases your electricity bills. If you’re interested in saving money on your energy bills and reducing your carbon footprint, it’s worth considering ways to increase the efficiency of your air conditioner.
At Malibu Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc., we have the expertise to help you reduce energy usage while keeping your home comfortable. Contact us if you require AC repair in Palo Alto, CA, and the surrounding areas.
Here are a Few Techniques You Can Use to Increase the Efficiency of Your Air Conditioner and Save Money:
- Regularly changing your air filter: A dirty air filter can reduce the efficiency of your air conditioner by up to 15%. Ensure to change your filter every one to three months, depending on usage. If you have allergies, respiratory issues, pets in the house, or smoke, you’ll need to change it more frequently.
- Use a programmable thermostat: A programmable thermostat can set your air conditioner to turn off or decrease the temperature when you’re not home, saving energy and money.
- Close your blinds and shades: Direct sunlight can significantly increase the temperature in your home, making your air conditioner work harder. Closing your blinds and shades can help block the sun’s rays, keep your home cooler, and work efficiently.
- Insulate your home: Proper insulation helps keep cool air in and hot air out, reducing the load on your air conditioner. Consider adding insulation to your attic and sealing any gaps or cracks in your walls and windows to increase the efficiency of your air conditioner and save money.
- Use ceiling fans: Ceiling fans can help to circulate cool air and make your home feel more relaxed, allowing you to set your thermostat higher and save energy.
- Avoid using heat-generating appliances: Running your oven, dryer, or other heat-generating appliances during the hottest part of the day can increase the temperature in your home and make your AC unit work harder. Try to use these appliances in the morning or evening when it’s cooler.
- Plant trees or install shading devices: Planting trees or installing shading devices, such as shading screens, can help block the sun’s rays and keep your home cooler, reducing the load on your air conditioner.
- Upgrade to a more efficient air conditioner: If your air conditioning unit is over ten years old, it may be time to upgrade to a more energy-efficient model. While it may require an initial investment, a newer model will likely pay for itself in energy savings over time.
By implementing these techniques, you can significantly increase the efficiency of your air conditioner and save money on your energy bills. For expert assistance with your air conditioner, contact our team at Malibu Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. We have certified and qualified technicians here to help you get the most out of your air conditioner and keep your home comfortable all year round. Schedule an appointment today for any AC repair in Gilroy, CA, and the surrounding areas.